This is an incredibly simple soup to make and it has the added bonus of containing absolutely no fat. It’s quite a large quantity but you can freeze it (or eat it for lunch all week!)
- 3 litres vegetable stock (I like Kallo)
- 175g pearl barley
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 125g swede OR 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, washed and sliced thinly
- 2 sticks celery, washed and sliced thinly
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped small
- 175g Savoy or green cabbage, ribboned
- 175g frozen peas
- salt and pepper
In a large pot, heat the stock and add the barley. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add all the vegetables apart from the peas. Bring to the boil again and simmer gently, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the peas for the last 8 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!